“Living a Life of Thanksgiving” | Bro. J. Anthony Vance | Colossians 3:15-17
“And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.” -Colossians 3:15-17
For the Christian, Thanksgiving isn’t a once-a-year event, but a lifestyle.
1) The Christian’s Activity (vs. 17)
Do ALL in the name of the Lord Jesus. His Name speaks of His character. Live every day with the awareness of who Jesus is.
– Your Mediator and Great High Priest (1 Timothy 2:5-6)
– Your King. You only have authorization/permission to do or say that which pleases Him.
– Your Example.
– Your God. (John 20:28)
– Your Helper. Anything eternally rewarding must be done by His strength and power. (John 15:5, Philippians 4:13)
2) The Christian’s Attitude (vs. 17) “Giving thanks to God the Father by Him.”
– When His peace is in your heart (vs. 15), and His Word is richly dwelling in your heart (vs. 16), you will have a thankful spirit.
– Whenever we are not thankful, we are not living in His Name.
Enemies of Thanksgiving:
Disobedience: sends away the peace of God
Neglecting the Word: self-pity, bitterness, unforgiveness, and ungratefulness creep in. We lose a thankful heart through routine.
Three Steps to Live Thankfully:
>>Meditation (Think on truths in God’s Word and think about what He’s done for you.)
>>Proclamation (When you think about it, it’s going to spill out!)
>>Praise (vs. 16) Singing with grace and thanks.
3) The Christian’s Ambition
Why should I live a thankful life?
1. Because of what He’s done. Because of the price that the Lord Jesus Christ paid for you. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 7:23) How can you think of that and not be thankful?
2. Because of Who He is. Because of the preeminence of His Person. He’s worthy. He’s worth ALL of your life…every moment.
Colossians 3:4- He IS your very LIFE. You don’t schedule Him in your life, He must BE your life.