I got this from Eric Simmons’ New Attitude Blog
. This list comes from Thomas Watson, single pastor from the 1600s. He wrote this in his book Body of Divinity
(a book Spurgeon used in his pastor’s college). The first chapter is “How Do We Glorify God?” The list includes 16 ways, the last three of which Simmons has not written about yet.
How Do We Aim to Glorify God?
1. “We aim at Gods’ glory when we prefer his Glory above all other things: Above credit, above wealth, above control, above ease, pleasure and the praise of men.”
2. “We aim at God’s glory when we are content that God’s will should take place, THOUGH IT MAY CROSS OURS.”
3. “We aim at God’s glory with our life when we are CONTENT to be outshined by others in gifts and esteem so that his glory may be increased”. [personally, my most convicting one…ouch!]
4. “We aim at God’s glory by an honest and sincere confession of sin.”
5. “We glorify God by believing him.”
6. “We glorify God by being fruitful.”
7. “We Glorify God by being CONTENTED in that state in which providence has placed us.” Here’s a great quote from that section: “We give God the glory for his wisdom, when we rest satisfied with what he carves out for us.”
8. “We Glorify God by working out our salvation through the spiritual disciplines.”
9. “We glorify God by living to God–we live to God when we live to his service.” How do we serve? “We spend ourselves and are spent that we may win souls for Christ.”
10. “We glorify God by walking cheerfully. It reflects upon a master when the servant is always moping and sad. Your serving him does not glorify Him unless it be with gladness.”
11. “We glorify god by contending for the truth.”
12. “We glorify God by praising him.”
13. “We glorify God when we have an eye to God in our natural and in our civil actions; in eating, in drinking. A grace filled person hold the golden bridle of temperance, he makes his food, not fuel for lust, but help to duty.”
If you don’t know 1 Corinthians 10:31 by heart, ask your youngster…I’m sure they could help you! :o)
Which one convicted you the most?! (Leave a comment).