ch. 1:19- The second coming brings blessings for believers. The future should motivate.
ch. 1:20-2:1 – Stars=messengers; give light, the glorious Gospel shines (in right hand=authority)
– Lampstands=churches make known Christ
Letter to Church at Ephesus (ch. 2:1-7)
– vs. 2- works (activities); toil (hardship of work); patient endurance (steadfast); rejects false doctrine
– vs. 3-4- Their problem was that they were sound in doctrine, but short in love.
– vs. 5- These things are motivated by love
– vs. 6- Pure love hates what God hates.
– vs. 7- Promised blessings motivate. (ch. 1:19)
Letter to Church at Smyrna (ch. 2:8-11)
– vs. 8- Smyrna (comes from Greek word for myrrh, which is bitter, but very fragrant when crushed)
– Suffering may be disciplinary, preventative, to learn obedience, or to provide a better testimony.
– vs. 10- Don’t fear about what you are going to suffer. Be faithful unto death.
– vs. 11- Future rewards to motivate. (ch. 1:19)